February 26, 2014

What's Cookin': Berry Cheese Danish


I made danish for the first time in my life! It turned out so good, and it was so stinkin' easy I don't know why I've never tried it before now. A little time consuming, but easy. Seriously.

I had some blueberries that needed to be used, and I still have gallons of boysenberries from last year in my freezer. I need to get those out and make room for this years upcoming crop. So I hopped over to Pinterest (which is a horribly evil place, by the way) and after searching for "berry pastry" and lots of scrolling, found this recipe:

Raspberry Pastry Braids

And just used the blueberries and boysenberries I had to equal the same amount of berries from the recipe.


BUT, the recipe doesn't call for cream cheese filling. And I don't know about you, but to me, it ain't a danish if there ain't cream cheese filling. So here's my modification.

Cream Cheese Filling
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 egg yolk
1/2 C sugar

Beat all together until well blended. Spread on dough in 4 inch section before adding berry filling.

Then go on to follow the recipe as posted.

This is so delicious! I had some as a midnight snack... Don't judge. If you had been in my kitchen to smell it, you would have joined me. Then we had it for breakfast with coffee. And for snack. I will definitely be making this again, and already thinking of doing a batch with apples, or strawberries, or cherries....

The recipe makes a TON of pastry. It makes 4 very large danish braids, which was great for the 6 of us, but if you don't need as much I would halve the recipe. Or I'm sure any un-iced braids could be frozen and reheated later.

Happy Eating!
Meg

4 comments:

Farm Girl said...

It is very pretty Danish, I have made danish but never have mine looked as pretty as this.
Just picture perfect.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I just drooled all over my keyboard. I will definitely be trying these for Easter. You did such a great job.

Angie said...

Wow, this looks amazing. I've never made danish but I may have to try my hand at it now!

no spring chicken said...

Beautiful food Meg... just the thing for the coming Easter season. I must say that I am so glad to find someone else who recognizes the true evil of Pinterest. Evil! Time sucking! Brain numbing! Glorious! Brilliant! Pinterest!

;) Debbie

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...