May 6, 2013

The Big News, And Other Things

Morning Glory
Blueberries

Boysenberries

"Mmm mmm"
Well, I meant to post our big news last week but we got caught up in Life and Stuff! It's probably not as awesome to everyone else but:

Ben got a new job! He started this morning! Hurray!! If y'all have been following for awhile, you know that he's been working 10's and 12's six days a week for nearly three years now, and we finally couldn't take it anymore. There was no end in sight.

And this new job? 40 hours. Period. They even say that if you get called in on a Saturday, you get Monday off.

Even better? We found out Thursday that during the summer they change their hours to compensate for peak energy hours. So instead of getting off in the early afternoon, he's getting off even earlier than we thought! He'll be coming home while the kids are still taking a nap! I'm so, so excited to finally have him back, and awake. It's been a very hard past few years of him falling asleep as soon as he sits down after dinner and being exhausted and at work all the time. I'm very thankful for this new job and I hope it works out as well as it sounds like it will and he will finally have time to rest and relax.

We were at the beach over the weekend, for the "men folk" in my family to take my grandfather on a fishing trip. It was his Christmas gift from my brother-in-law. It was a nice little trip and the weather was beautiful.

We came back to a monster dust and wind storm. On the stretch of road from the freeway back into town the dust was so bad you couldn't see past maybe half a mile. It was crazy. I have never seen dust that bad. Once we got into civilization the dust wasn't as bad, but the wind was still whipping things around. My poor grapes are so wind burned and sad looking. I think I lost most of my bunches that were blooming. I'm really bummed about that. But today is beautifully breezy and cool, with puffy clouds floating through the blue sky.

The blueberries and boysenberries started ripening over the weekend. The boys and I wandered around after school this morning and munched on berries. Munchie loves berries. I would say "Do you like the berries? Are they good?" and he would reply with grunty "mmm mmm"s. The first week or two of boysenberries is wonderful. The weeks after that are a little tiring once we're swimming in berries. And there are a LOT of berries coming this year.

I didn't get a lick of knitting done while I was gone. I spent our sitting time just relaxing, doing crosswords (my brain needs exercise haha) and enjoying the weather and the company. We squeezed 15 people into a tiny little two bedroom house. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and it was nice to have so many people around to play with the kids, so I could really unwind and not be on alert.

Well, I think that's enough babbling for now. Ben will be home in a few hours! :)

Happy Monday y'all!
Meg

6 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Aww, congrats to your hubby on the new job! It sounds like it will be so much better for him and your family. So happy for you guys!

Unknown said...

Congrats! I'm sure this will be great for your family!

Farm Girl said...

So glad you had fun. Such a nice break. I have been thinking about Ben all day. I hope it went well.
Lovely pictures.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

I think your news is FANTASTIC!! So happy you will have more of Ben awake and I'm sure he's very happy about it too. The berries sound delicious - I'm with Munchie, eat them as you grab them. :) Happy you had a break from knitting and you actually relaxed a little.

Kessie said...

Oh, Im so glad. I've been thinking about you guys, and I'll bet you mind feels so much better. The beach sounds really nice, too. We're having your same big puffy clouds.

Amber said...

Hi Meg! Thanks for the comment on my blog! Praise God for the new job for your hubby! That will be such a blessing to have him home so much more! I can't believe you've got berries growing already! You must live someplace south! Our blueberries won't be ready until almost July!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...