April 25, 2012

A Post About Food

The book that has been expanding my waistline...

It seems my life has been chock full of food lately, so I figured I would share it all with you.

~ I made some Giant Molasses Cookies last week from the Taste of Home Cookie magazine and they are really good. They came out crunchy though. I'm not a big crunchy cookie fan - I like mine chewy. But they are still good and are even better dipped in coffee. ;) (I wanted to link you the recipe, but apparently it's a member exclusive. So go get the book!)

~ Ben gave me permission to try red sauce enchiladas, and I found a really, stupidly simple recipe for Enchilada sauce.

Easy Enchilada Sauce
1/4 C vegetable oil (I used lard)
2 Tbs flour
1/4 C chili powder
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 C water
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet and add the flour and chili powder. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned, stirring constantly (we're making a roux).

Slowly stir in the water, tomato sauce, and spices. Continue cooking approximately 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Adjust salt to taste.
I stuffed mine with some leftover pork and monterey jack and they tasted just like restaurant enchiladas. Delicious. (Oh and he said I could make them again. :D)

~ I have found the best way to make crisp oven fries. Coat them in flour! After years of trying to get decent fries I finally decided to try making them similar to the recipe I have been using for "Crispy Potato Cubes". I just cut them up into fry shapes, toss them in flour, then pour some oil onto the baking sheet and toss the flour-covered potatoes in the oil. Bake at 475 degrees for 20 minutes, stir them up and bake another 20 minutes or until desired crispy-ness. Toss with seasoned salt. So good!

~ My baby sister's wedding is this Saturday and she asked if I could make some caramels to go on the dessert table. Sure! Shouldn't be a problem at all!

Until I tried to actually make them and the little man woke up half way through and started getting really, really mad. Candy making is not something you can just walk away from, so I tried to rush it and didn't *quite* get it up to the right temperature. Well, rushing isn't something you can do with candy either. I wound up with a really nice caramel sauce, but it wouldn't harden past that.

So, in effort to save it, I made these Caramel Butter-Pecan Bars. They turned out great! And I'm so glad I was able to do something and avoid a total loss (and try yet another recipe from The Book).  They will be going to the church kitchen tonight to get them ready for the wedding.

~ That cookie book is dangerous. ;)

What have you been cooking lately?
Meg

5 comments:

Kessie said...

Oh man, you're making me hungry. I found a recipe for See's Bordeaux, which is like brown sugar fudge, and I've been dying to try it. I didn't realize her wedding was this Saturday. Wow, it's been so fast!

Farm Girl said...

Well, my candy never turns out no matter what. I guess that is the problem I am always trying to rush it.
It all sounds so yummy, I might be making the enchiladas soon. I have some roast that we didn't eat and I have been hoarding from the masses, it would make really good enchiladas.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Yummm....all of it. Interesting about the "fries". I'd also heard a mixture of flour and cornstarch, but I haven't tried it. That book does in fact sound dangerous. But a good dangerous. :-)

Kim said...

Meg, you always put me to shame. Tonight I stopped at KFC and got supper. I'm glad you found a good use for the caramel candy. I would probably have sat there with a spoon and finshed it :)

no spring chicken said...

I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm glad that you showed me your amazingly decadent, delicious looking caramel butter pecan bar recipe.... Hmmm, yes, yes I am!

Sheesh, you'd think I was the one who just had a baby. It's been 2 weeks since I last posted. I can't believe it!! It's good to poke back in and visit my little mama and see that things are normal around there. If you had gotten through the entire caramel making process without a howl, I would have worried. ;)

Enjoy those enchiladas!

Blessings, Debbie

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...