August 20, 2011

What's Cookin: Hushpuppies


Have you ever bitten into a piece of food and had a memory flood over you? I had remembered hush puppies as I read the recipe, but the memory attached to them didn't come to life so vividly until I tasted them today.

When we were younger my dad would take us kids on "dates". We would go to a restaurant called the Hush Puppy and have dinner,  then listen to whatever band was playing that night if there was one. They would serve hush puppies as the pre-dinner snack as opposed to chips or bread. I don't really remember any of the other food, but I remember those hush puppies and the taste of them brings back those nights having dinner with just dad and my siblings and how fun it was.

I have been reading The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery (I actually checked it out from the library again because I didn't finish it the first time and love it). I'm in the section on planting, growing and using corn and this recipe for hush puppies was in there. For some reason I read the recipe and then stood up and walked into the kitchen to make them. That never happens. :)


Hushpuppies
1 C corn meal
1 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
As much onion as you like (I did half a large), chopped
1 egg, beaten
Milk

Mix together corn meal, flour, soda, salt and onion. Stir in egg and enough milk to make a thick batter. Fry in a skillet of oil until browned on bottom, then flip over and brown the other side. Remove and drain on paper towels. 

I used grapeseed oil with a bit of bacon grease added in for flavor and they are wonderfully delicious. They weren't too hard either (just mix and fry!) and didn't make so much of a mess to turn me off from making them again. I'll probably be making these for snacks or a dinner side pretty often.

I ate 3 as they came out of the pan. The kids asked for more and more and I had to turn them away lest they ruin their dinner.

Happy Eating,
Meg

4 comments:

Kessie said...

Must have just been a night for frying! I made PW's chicken fried chicken and Ryan was positively singing with joy as he ate it.

I'm so tired of cooking all my same stuff, I'm looking for new things. Maybe I'll try hushpuppies next. :-)

Farm Girl said...

It must be end of the summer cooking, I am so sick of cooking the same thing over and over. I am glad you have enjoyed Carla Emery's book. I have it somewhere around here. It is the one she did when she was still alive that she copied on a old copier. It is just pages in a binder. I bought it from her. Isn't that weird?
I am so glad that you liked hush puppies. That is cute that the boys did too.

Allison said...

Yum! I have never even heard of these - only the shoe Hushpuppies. :D

Perhaps if I get courageous in the frying area, I will try these!

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

I've never made these. Not sure why....they seem easy enough. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...