June 15, 2011

Random Wednesday


We have a lily in the backyard! It's our first lily of the year and I'm so excited.


My mom brought us two large containers of blueberries with the request of jam, so I made a batch of freezer jam last week. I'd never made freezer jam before, and while it doesn't have that deep lovely blue/purple color of cooked jam, it still tastes wonderful. Blueberries are so delicious.


We have a spaghetti squash coming in. I saw a bee pollinating flowers the other day and I stood and talked to him while he worked, telling him to keep doing a good job! Give us lots of squash and green beans! I did have a tiny green bean harvest the other day. About a handful to go with dinner.


It's been hot here the last few days and some of my lettuce was trying to bolt, so I harvested a few heads this morning.


Looks like I'm having salad for lunch! Any family members looking for lettuce need to come get some!


I went to clean the sink the other day and found this little stow away. I'm not sure how she got in the house, but it was a very cute surprise!


I figured I would show the progress I've made on my embroidery sampler. It's coming along. I've found that I really hate the cross stitch and that I really like satin stitch and stem stitch and french knots are fun.


This is my corn, which I'm terribly proud of. I didn't want to just fill it in, I wanted it to look like corn. So I tried out french knots and I think it turned out great.

It's been hot here and as much as I don't like the heat, it is making our plants very happy.

Have a wonderful Wednesday,
Meg

14 comments:

Rachel said...

Ohhh lettuce! I like lettuce!

Meg said...

Then come get ye some lettuce!

Farm Girl said...

Your lettuce is so great! So is your french knots. It does look just like a ear of corn. Just like knitting you are incredible at embroidery.
Very pretty jam too.

Kessie said...

I was thinking about getting back into sewing, then it got hot, and I couldn't bear the thought of holding this hot piece of fabric in my lap. Your stitches are really pretty, and so is your lettuce! Hint: taco salad is made of win.

Allison said...

Well, I LOVE your sampler. I will have to start one someday; I know it would be fun to do with my girls. Your corn's darling.

Have you ever boiled your lettuce? When you have lots of lettuce (and I do mean Lots) you can boil it for a few minutes after breaking it up a bit. Strain it, salt it just a bit and make little squares with it about the size of two golf balls. Wrap in bacon and broil until the bacon is cooked and crispy. It is SO good. I mean SO SO good. But you will need a couple heads for your family. That heavier, thicker lettuce would be perfect for this.

Changes in the wind said...

You lettuce is beautiful!! Never had fresh lettuce and your corn is brillant..looks like the real thing.

no spring chicken said...

Your garden is so healthy!! And I love blueberries, unfortunately they don't do well in our zone. :(

I'm still loving your sampler. I have a question. What is the secret to the french knot? Every time I try it, it just slips right through! I think I've got it, I try not to pull to tight, and through again... If you have a tip I really would appreciate it!!

Blessings, Debbie

Dawn said...

Everything seems to be flourishing there! Freezer jam....so much my favorite- and I like the less-mess idea:) (And LESS work:)
It looks super yummy!

no spring chicken said...

Thanks Meg for the link! I'm running to try it right now but wanted to take a minute to let you know that I appreciate your taking the time to answer me. :)

I'll let you know if it was beginner's luck or not...

Debbie

Jennifer said...

I am glad I stopped by today to get that recipe idea for bacon-wrapped lettuce. Oh, baby.

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

Your veggies look great! Mine should be perking up this week as they've had about 4 days of rain and now sunshine. No beans yet, but we do have lettuce. The corn is adorable. Great addition to the sampler.
Have a great weekend!
Staci

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I love everything in this post. The french knotted corn cob is so adorable. For the life of me I don't know how you do it all. Good for you Meg!!!

Leontien said...

like your pictures! like your blog and i would LOVE to follow but i can't find your follow list/thingy!

soooo what now???

Leontien
www.fourleafcloverdairy.blogspot.com

Meg said...

Hi Leontien!

I took the follower button off but you can add my site to your reader! If you're working through blogger just click "Add" at the bottom of the list of blogs you read. Thanks for stopping by for a visit! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...