November 22, 2010

What's Cookin': Chicken & Bacon Frittata


It's been awhile since I've posted a dinner recipe. I've kind of been in a dinner slump lately - same things over and over. We had delicious smoked chicken for dinner last night and I knew we would have leftovers, so this is what I planned.

If you're wondering what the heck a frittata is: A Frittata is a quiche minus the crust. Done in a pan, usually on the stove and finished in the oven (although you can do the whole thing on the stove if you want or entirely in the oven as well). You can fill it with anything you would a quiche. I love frittatas for two reasons: Great for leftover bits of whatever, and I don't have to make a crust! That, and my well documented love of eggs.

Today's frittata involves aforementioned leftover chicken, and bacon. Because bacon belongs in everything. Plus it needed something more and I'm missing any tasty veggies right now. Ben said a few green onions and it would have been an awesome breakfast dish. For different flavor variations try ham and cheese, or spinach, bacon and Swiss, or whatever else makes your skirt fly up!

If you have a different number of people than I do, I generally do frittatas with 1 egg per person plus one extra for good measure. This of course depends on the size of your eggs, but it's generally a good rule of thumb for this dish.

Chicken & Bacon Frittata - serves 5-6
1 Tbs butter or oil
1/2 small onion, diced
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 cooked chicken breast, cubed
6 eggs
Splash of milk
Dash of paprika
Salt & Pepper
1/2 C Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In an oven proof pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it starts to soften. Add bacon and cook until almost crisp. Add chicken and allow to heat through. Meanwhile, beat together eggs, milk and seasoning. Pour egg mix over meat in pan. You can drain most of the bacon drippings before hand if you need to, but leave a bit to prevent sticking. Make sure meat is distributed evenly in pan. Allow to cook about 2 minutes, then sprinkle cheese on top and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake about 20-25 minutes, until cheese is melted and top is golden brown.


Happy Eating,

1 comment:

Kim said...

This looks VERY yummy. Frittata is one of our favorites & this looks a bit different than my normal one! Thanks for posting!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...