October 27, 2010

What's Cookin': Roast Chicken


Note to self: Next time, pull out the lettuce in the fridge for garnish...

On the menu for tonight was supposed to be Crock Pot Chicken, but I was thinking how I've never really done a chicken in the oven before. And that I've done a whole freakin' turkey, so why have I avoided doing a chicken?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've done one in the oven, but the memory is so faint I'm not sure it really happened... But I think my brother was there so, Josh... if you're reading? Did it really happen?

This lapse in memory brought you to by the birth of 3 children.

Anyways! Back to the chicken. Roasting a chicken is so stinkin' easy I don't know why I always go to my Crock Pot. Mayhaps because I can just stick it there and forget about it until dinner. And Ben said it's nice for how much more tender it gets.

But the flavor... Oh, the flavor. I rubbed down my chicken with butter and spices, inside and out. It was so simple, but made it so tasty. Let's just get to it, shall we?

Roasted Chicken
1 whole chicken, giblet free and rinsed
1/4 C butter, softened
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
(Looking back, I should have added a wee bit of salt)
1/2 onion

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Set your dried chicken either on a roasting rack in a baking dish, or straight in the dish, rack free. Mix the butter and spices together in a small bowl. Now the fun part. Rub that puppy down. Under the skin, on the skin, in the cavity. Any nook and cranny you can stash the butter and & spices in, stick it in there. Shove the onion into the cavity, too.

If you have a probe thermometer, stick it into the deepest part of the breast. Roast until the meat reaches 180 degrees, about 2 hours. (Or until the juices run clear, if you don't have a thermometer.) Remove from oven, cover in foil and let rest for 20 minutes.

Enjoy! Preferably with mashed potatoes, fresh homemade rolls, and a veggie of some kind.

Happy Eating,

3 comments:

Kessie said...

Sounds really good! I was looking at a recipe for beer can chicken, but we are sadly lacking in half-empty cans of beer around here. Have you ever tried that?

Farm Girl said...

Very pretty chicken. I bet it was yummy. I am so glad you feed Ben so well.

Meg said...

Not yet, we've talked about it though. I think you can buy just a can at a gas station. Just dump out what you don't need and use it in the chicken!

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...