September 2, 2010

What's Cookin': Meg's Ridiculous Cinnamon Rolls

I have been craving cinnamon rolls like crazy lately. Even more so since everyone has been talking about fall. I just haven't gotten around to making them because they are a little time consuming.

Well today was Bread Day, so I figured I might as well whip up a batch of cinnamon rolls while I was at it and the kitchen was already a mess.

Oh my. I'm so glad I did. And Ben was glad I did too! I usually judge how good a dish is by Ben's reaction. And let's just say he had seconds. He even said that when it gets colder I need to make a whole batch for him to take to work and give everyone. :D

I didn't follow a recipe for this (except for the dough) because every time I've tried a cinnamon roll recipe they never turn out the way I like them. I like sweet bread, with lots of filling and lots of icing. The recipes are usually lacking in at least one, if not all of those areas. So I just made up my own and it turned out phenomenal! I put so much filling in that it oozed out and caramelized a bit on the bottom giving a chewy/crunchy little bit of extra goodness - my idea of the perfect cinnamon roll.

Meg's Ridiculous Cinnamon Rolls - Makes 1 dozen
Dough (based off of the Rich Egg Bread from Betty Crocker, but with more sugar):
1 C warm water
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 C  + 1 Tbs sugar
3 to 3 1/4 C flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/4 C vital wheat gluten (if you have if. No biggie if you don't.)

Filling:
1 1/2 C brown sugar, unpacked (yes, really. That much.)
1/2 stick (4 Tbs) butter, melted
3-4 tsp cinnamon, to your taste
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of nutmeg (secret ingredient!)

Icing:
2 C powdered/confectioner's sugar
8-12 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

For the dough, mix the 1 Tbs sugar and water together. Stir in the yeast and allow to soften and bubble for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together half of the flour, the rest of the sugar, salt, and the VWG (if you have it). Add the yeast mixture and combine (I use my KitchenAid mixer). Add the egg and stir until well mixed. Add the rest of the flour in little bits until no longer sticky. Knead for 10 minutes, place in a greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour (or until doubled).

Punch down dough, then roll out on a lightly flour surface to a rectangle of about 13 x 8 inches (ish. Just eyeball it.) Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl, then spread onto the dough, leaving about a half inch on one of the long sides for sealing. It is a LOT of filling, so it will be a thick layer. Roll up, pinch the seam and ends to seal.

Cut into 12 equal slices and place into a greased 9 X 13" baking dish about 1/2" inch apart. Cover with a towel and let rise for another hour.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. If they get browned to quickly then place a piece of foil on them for the remaining cook time to let the centers cook.

Cool for 20 minutes, then mix the icing ingredients and pour over the top. Devour with a delicious glass of milk!

3 comments:

Farm Girl said...

They are just beautiful!!! I have been thinking about them too. Great minds and all of that. :) I am so glad they turned out yummy.

Your picture looks like you could just pick one off the screen and eat it.

Kessie said...

Oh man, I'll have to make these now! Except I use the bread recipe that Mom uses for chicken pockets. It's on her blog somewhere. There's a lot of sugar in it and it's just perfect. :-)

Simple Home said...

I love cinnamon rolls and these look and sound yummy! I can almost smell them from here :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...