June 21, 2010

What's Cookin': Ricecapades!

Teehee. Ricecapades.
(Not my pic.)
Y'all know I love rice. I realized the other day that I have a lot of rice recipes. Be it rice dishes, or ways of preparing rice for different meal flavors. So here are a few of my rice recipes that I have perfected over the last few years and I use frequently.

Basic Rice 
This is my plain rice recipe that I will make when I'm using the rice in other dishes that will add flavor to it. Ben likes to add milk and sugar to the rice if I make it with water for a dessert rice dish. Goes well with anything that is complemented by basic rice.

2 Cups uncooked white rice
2 Tbs oil and/or butter
1 tsp salt
3 3/4 C chicken broth/stock (for plain rice, use water)

In a large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until rice is browned and crisp. Add salt and stir, then pour in chicken broth. Let come to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes*. Fluff with a fork and serve.

Spicy Asian Rice
I came up with this the other night in an effort to spice up a cranberry Asian chicken dish (recipe coming after I perfect it). It has a little kick, which can be adjusted by adding more or less red pepper flakes. Would go well with any Asian dish, or something that you just want spiced rice for. 
2 C uncooked white rice
2 Tbs oil and/or butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 3/4 C chicken broth

In a large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until rice is browned and crisp. Add all of the spices and stir to even combine with rice. Pour in chicken broth and let come to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer 20-25 minutes*. Fluff with a fork and serve.

Ranch Rice
I made this up one day a few years ago when I wanted something more than just plain rice. It turned out delicious. Goes well with any dish.

2 C uncooked white rice
2 Tbs oil and/or butter
1 Ranch dip seasoning packet
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/4 C broth or water

In a large skillet or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add rice and cook until rice is browned and crisp. Mix the ranch seasoning, milk, salt and broth or water together. Pour into pan with rice. Let come to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 20-25 minutes*. Fluff with a fork.

Fried Rice
You can find my fried rice recipe in my Orange Chicken & Fried Rice post.

Mexican Rice
I have tried many Mexican rice recipes over the years, trying to find one that matches the rice you find in Mexican restaurants. I've finally nailed it by combining a few different aspects of various recipes. Ben says he likes it even better than the restaurants. Goes well with tacos, burritos, or any Mexican/TexMex dishes.
2 C uncooked white rice
2 Tbs oil and/or butter
1 small onion, diced fine
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C tomato sauce
3 1/2 C chicken broth or water
Juice of one lemon or lime (or about 2 Tbs of juice from the bottle)

Heat oil in a large skillet or pot oven medium heat. Add rice and onion and cook until rice is just browned and crisp. Stir in garlic, cumin and salt and let rice toast a little bit longer (until you're afraid it will burn). Pour in tomato sauce and broth. Let come to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes*. Pour lemon juice over top, fluff with a fork and serve.

"Dirty" Rice
Dirty rice is a southern dish that involves chicken livers/gizzards, onions, pepper, spices, and usually seafood or sausage of some kind. I will probably get shot for calling my version dirty rice, but that's just the name that seemed to work. Mine is build from leftovers (not chicken gizzards) and is a great way to use up random bits of meat and rice. When I don't have much of anything else I do a bacon and eggs version. It's a good cheap meal any way you make it.

2-3 C cooked rice, cooled
2 Tbs oil and/or butter
About 2 C leftover chicken, beef, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, meat of some kind, etc.
Spices of your choosing - Mine usually include garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper. Amounts are up to you. I just season to taste, erring on the side of spicy.

In a very large pan or pot heat the oil or butter. Add the meat and heat through (unless it's eggs, then add them after the rice). Add the rice and stir to combine with meat. Season with spices to your taste.


A few points about making rice:
  • When you add the broth/water to the rice, do NOT stir it. This will cause the starches in the rice to mix with the water, making sticky rice. Try to touch it as little as possible. Stir once if you have to, to even it out. Or better yet, just wiggle the pan a little.
  • I have found that I get slightly fluffier rice if I take the pan off the heat once the time is up and let it sit with the lid on for 3-5 minutes. It also gives the top layer a little more chance to soak up more moisture. 
  • When making fried rice, or any dish rice dish you will be cooking/frying later it is best to start with cold rice. This will ensure you don't wind up with a rice clod. Day old is best, but I've been known to cook the rice a few hours ahead and cool it on a sheet pan in the fridge.
  • Rice is like pasta in that it's easier to flavor it during cooking rather than after. Adding at least salt into the liquid will give better flavor than trying to salt or season it afterward.
Do you have any really good rice recipes?

*I have a gas stove, so your times may vary depending on what you're cooking on. Adjust accordingly.

1 comment:

Farm Girl said...

That is a cute name.
I think all of the recipes look yummy.
I can't wait to try them all. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...