April 13, 2010

What's Cookin': Creamy Chicken & Pasta

First thing's first: I have no picture because we were all hungry and devoured our bowls of this deliciousness quite quickly. This meal came to me in a Betty Crocker email and I changed it to fit our tastes.


Creamy Chicken & Pasta - makes 8 servings
1 Tbs olive or veg oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2), cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp basil leaves
2 tsp oregano leaves
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cups heavy whipping cream (Sorry mom, I guess you'll have to save up points for this meal :P)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb pasta - I used penne
2 cups (ish) broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)

In a large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Cook chicken with garlic, basil and oregano until chicken is no longer pink in middle. Stir in tomatoes, cream, onion, salt and both peppers. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Cook pasta according to directions (remember to salt the water!). Drain well and mix with chicken & cream in whichever is vessel is bigger. I had to use the pasta pot. Add the broccoli and mix well. Cook over medium heat until broccoli is slightly tender (or heated through if using frozen). Serve with shredded Parmesan (or green can stuff).

Notes & Variations: This recipe called for two cans of tomatoes, but we're not big tomato people so I cut it in half. I also doubled the pasta up from 1/2 lb because I know we eat a lot and use the leftovers for lunch the next day (of which there were plenty). The recipe called for a bag of frozen veggies consisting of red peppers, onions, broccoli and mushrooms. But I couldn't find a mix like that so I just used the fresh broccoli and it turned out fine.

Ben Rating: 5!! I GOT A 5!! Big, big praise from mister "Nothing but meatloaf gets a 5". ;)

1 comment:

Farm Girl said...

Another to add to the list of yummy favorites from Meg!! It sounds really good.

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...