January 5, 2010

"Whatcha' Got" Cooking


Apparently, there is some buzz going around a few blogs about using this month to eat up what you have in your freezer and pantry. This way you save money by not having to go to the store as much. I didn't know this was such a rare thing. I do this all the time! But since everyone seems to be doing it this month, I figured I would join along.

Here's how it works. Take an inventory of what you have in your fridge(s), freezer(s), and pantry(ies). Then plan your meals based off of those. Simple! Don't by anything off the sale flyers (unless it's a really, crazy good deal). Of course you might need to go to the store for things like milk and eggs and other perishables, but for the most part the idea is that you have most of everything you need and you make do with whatever it may be.

I went through my various food holding places using an inventory sheet that I made up in Excel. Here is just a little bit of what I have:

5 whole chickens
1 bag of turkey (probably about 3 or 4 cups)
1 beef roast
1 bag of shredded pork (about 5 cups)
Rice (white and brown)
Various cans of beans, and one bag of dried red beans
Tomatoes - sauce, paste and diced
Macaroni and spaghetti noodles
Brownies, cookies and banana muffins (in the freezer)
A whole ton of baking supplies
... And a bunch of other things

I didn't realize just how much food we had. I can do so much! Tonight I had cooked rice and a little shredded chicken from the whole one I cooked up last week. So I threw those together with a taco seasoning packet and we had tacos for dinner. The whole meal was probably $2.00.

I told Ben my idea for trying not to get much of anything from the store this month and he's totally down. I think it will be a nice challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...