December 9, 2009

What's Cookin': Sticky Chicken and Potatoes

My mom in law gave me this recipe awhile ago. The first time I tried it it came out too salty (might have been user error), so today I messed with it a little bit and it turned out great. No picture today. I forgot. My price for spices is a little high since I'm just going off of the prices on the Vons website. I buy my spices for cheaper but I can't remember the exact prices. This is just an estimation.

Sticky Chicken & Potatoes

2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts or tenders - 4.23
2 tsp salt - .00 (Salt doesn't become .01 for me until I use a Tablespoon)
2 tsp onion powder - .20
2 tsp paprika - .46
2 tsp thyme - 1.20
1/2 tsp garlic powder - .01
1/2 tsp pepper - .00
1/2 tsp chili powder - .05
5-6 potatoes, individually wrapped in foil - .42

Mix spices together and rub over chicken. Place wrapped potatoes in bottom of crock pot. Lay chicken over potatoes. Set on high for 6-7 hours.

Total: 6.57

Variations: Her recipe called for cayenne rather than chili powder, but I was out so that's what I used. Also, hers called for 4 tsp salt, but like I said I cut it in half. I was thinking today that it would be good with either lemon zest added to the rub, or lemon slices placed on top of the chicken while cooking.

The potatoes turned out the best I think. Some of the juices from the chicken seeped into the foil while cooking and flavored the potatoes. They were excellent. I served this with a salad for our veggies, which added maybe 2 dollars more. This fed all of us until we were stuffed and I have half the chicken left over for a second meal later in the week as well as two potatoes for Ben's breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoy reading every comment and I will try to get back to you if I'm able.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...